HISTORY IS COOL: 80 years ago

Feb. 28, 1941

Tahawus mine

The Ticonderoga Sentinel states hat it has learned through an authoritative source that the National Lead company, one of the largest manufacturers of paints in the world, has agreed to purchase the entire mineral rights and holdings of the McIntyre Iron company at Tahawus, in the town of Newcomb, including 2,000 acres of land upon which are reputedly the richest and most extensive deposits of titanium-bearing iron ore in known existence.

Titanium is that scorned substance which had only a nuisance value when it caused the Adirondack Iron Works at Tahawus to abandon its properties nearly a century ago. It now promises to bring prosperity to Newcomb, Minerva, North Creek and to all of Essex County.

The new owners, it is reported, are considering the construction of a railroad from Tahawus to a point on Lake Champlain about one mile north of Fort Ticonderoga, where a terminal would be utilized for the shipment of titanium and iron ore by water through the lake and canal or by rail over the Delaware & Hudson lines.

The original right of way for what was to have been known as the Champlain & Sanford railroad was surveyed and purchased about 35 years ago, and the McIntyre Iron company has always maintained this potential route, which, it is understood, was included in the transaction with the National Lead company.

One of the initial phases of development will be the construction of a highway to Lake Sanford, probably following the route of the original road, and trucks will be used at first, probably transporting the ore to North Creek, the nearest railhead, where it will be transhipped to the company’s refining plants in New Jersey and St. Louis.

Lost skier recovers

Basil C. Soyenkoff, 37, of New York City, stumbled into the Adirondak Loj at 7:30 a.m. Thursday, half frozen and suffering from shock after wandering all night in the Indian Pass section when he became lost in returning from a skiing trip. He was taken to the Saranac Lake General Hospital in serious condition.

Previously warned against the dangers of skiing without companions, Soyenkoff left the Loj alone on Saturday, skiing the Keene Valley trail to Johns Brook Lodge, where he stayed for three days, taking short side trips with the lodge as headquarters.

On Wednesday, he started to return to the Adirondak Loj about 7 miles from this village, where he had been a guest. Using the Keene Valley side of the foot trail over Mount Marcy, it was dark before he reached a lean-to.

Leaving this, he started out again and when he missed ski trail warnings of abandoned trails posted by the state, he used an abandoned logging road.

Exhausted and partly delirious, he fell into Marcy Brook, drenching his clothing which quickly froze to his body at a temperature of 20 degrees below zero. In his delirium, he had thrown away his flashlights and did not remember to don extra clothing which he might have exchanged for that he was wearing. After wandering all through the night, he finally got his bearings and reached the Loj.

(Explore the Lake Placid News archives on the NYS Historic Newspapers website: https://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn86033359/)