Winners announced for USA Luge’s Running of the Balls
LAKE PLACID — In its final race of the season, USA Luge shattered a team record. The organization announced Monday, Feb. 22 that the sixth annual Duluth Trading Company Running of the Balls fundraiser doubled its previous best effort.
The sale of 1,800 balls plus sponsor donations, totaled $38,000. The previous best was the 2019 event that generated $19,000. The competition took place last week down the mile-long track at the Olympic Sports Complex.
“This event went significantly above any reasonable estimation we could have foreseen,” said Gordy Sheer, USA Luge director of sponsorship and marketing, and a 1998 Olympic silver medalist. “We have to thank every individual and sponsor who took us all the way to $38,000. This is a massive achievement, and will go a long way in funding our teams for next season.”
Watch the webcast of the record-breaking race by logging on to www.usaluge.org.
Duluth Trading Company prizes for the yellow, orange and white ball race were awarded as follows:
– Evan Brodie, Croton, New York, $1,000 plus the Duluth Leather Duffle Bag
– Anna Andreeva, Moscow, Russia, $500 plus the Duluth Cargo Bold Backpack Growler
– Mary Ann Deignan, New York City, $300 plus Duluth Tool Bag Growler
– Tracy Gordon, Sussex, Wisconsin, $200 plus the Duluth CargoBold Backpack
– Stefanie Loebl, Tyngsboro, Massachusetts, $100 plus Duluth Tool Bag
– Shirley Schmidt, Kaukauna, Wisconsin, Duluth Karl’s Lunchbox Growler
– Amy Ike, Lititz, Pennsylvania, Duluth Karl’s Lunchbox
– Thomas Anthony, Parma, Ohio, Duluth Growler
– Glen Christophersen, Rogers, Arkansas, Duluth Spit & Polish Gift Basket
– Jim and Sharon Cushman, Lake Placid, Duluth Travel Mug & Tougher Guy Hat
– Last place: Doug Pietrick, Macedonia, Ohio, $100 plus the Duluth Tougher Guy Hat
– Blue Ball Winner: Don Simkin, Youngsville, New York, Karl’s Lunch Box Growler and trip to Lake Placid
In addition to Duluth Trading Company, media sponsors include the Lake Placid News, 100.7 and 102.1 Lake FM, and Adirondack 105 FM.Sponsors include Margarita Sears, Barrett Quinn, Golden Arrow Resort, Cobble Mountain Lodge, Lake Placid Family Dental, Casella Waste Systems, Mountain Dental, High Peaks Ford, Long Run Wealth Advisors, Burnham Financial, The UPS Store Lake Placid, Cool Seal USA, empHoweredPR, Wildwood Motel, Vulcan GMS, Yetti Apparel and Mountain Orthotic & Prosthetic Services.
For more information, visit https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Luge.