Margaret ‘Peg’ Tyler Blazer

Margaret “Peg” Tyler Blazer died on Friday, Sept. 11, 2020.

Margaret was born the middle of 5 daughters to Andrew Kniffen Tyler and Gula Ryer Tyler in South Kortright on Oct. 23, 1926. Full of pep and vinegar from the very start, Margaret earned the rugged spot in the family as the daughter between the older two and the younger two sisters. Growing up on a dairy farm brought with it hard work, happy times and a guiding post for life itself. Margaret loved to play softball, ride her horse Ginger (who many times was not cooperative), swim in the Johnsons’ swimming hole on Roses Brook after haying, and tend to her young heifers. Each daughter had her choice of what kind of cow she would like to raise and show at the county fair, and Margaret’s choice was the Holstein. Ultimately Margaret’s young heifer won at the county level and beyond. She loved Roses Brook and the farm way up the valley near the Narrow Notch, and would recount stories of their horse drawing the sleigh up the long road from South Kortright after Christmas Eve service, while everyone on board slept. The horse knew the way …

Beyond measure, however, the farm between South Kortright and Hobart was where the memories and good times continued. So much so that a short while after her marriage to David Blazer, they built their beloved log cabin on a piece of the farm property after having lived in Hobart for a period of time. Margaret was a hard worker and held positions at the South Kortright Central School in the payroll department and the guidance office. At the same time, she worked at the Boat House as a waitress, all the while helping on the farm when she could.

Skiing was a big part of Margaret’s life, with stories told of schussing down the 18th hole of the Stamford Golf Club and being carried back to the top in Brooks’ pickup truck to repeat the thrill. Both her sons, Andy and Ted, got their start being pushed down the back hill behind the South Kortright house but quickly graduated to Scotch Valley, which opened in 1963, where she demanded they side-step up the beginner hill for one year before even thinking about buying a ticket for the T-bar. Skiing days were a part of her life, and she participated in outings with the Hobart Ski Club and events with the racing club and ski patrol.

Being a sister to four other girls, family times were important, and gatherings for holidays and birthdays were constant and cherished. Though her sisters may have moved on from the Catskill Mountain area, contact remained constant and so, too, their love for each other. Long Island and Hampton Bays became a family target as many a trip would emerge to visit family who had moved there — so much so that in years following, Margaret and Dave would go there to enjoy the beach long after her older sister and family left. Margaret was a fierce supporter of Dave during his political career, he having been a town supervisor for 10 years and then candidate for New York State Senate and U.S. Congress. She loved the campaign trail, and though the road never led to Albany or Washington, the folks she met along the way forged a lasting memory, and for sure her enthusiasm and drive affected the luminaries she came into contact with. Her love of politics came early in life when, at 14, she went to Albany alone to pick up FDR campaign buttons.

Margaret and Dave eventually left the farm in 1978 and moved to Guilderland, with a home tucked in the woods allowing for long walks in the “way out back” with their collie. Margaret continued her hard-working ways being employed by the New York State Department of Transportation and Travelers Insurance. She, being an “older woman,” would recount walking into a room full of young women all after the same job and walking away with it. She was utilized for large-scale recovery efforts from the devastating hurricanes down south because of her exceptional office skills and ability to quickly complete the task at hand, speeding much-needed aid to those in need. While in Guilderland, they continued their love of the British car MG and rebuilt a 1951 MGTD from scratch, the original one having had to be sold earlier on to pay campaign debts.

After nearly a decade in the Albany area, Margaret and Dave moved to AuSable Acres in the shadow of Whiteface Mountain in the Adirondacks. After several years there they eventually moved to Lake Placid, setting up home on Liberty Hill Lane surrounded by wonderful and caring neighbors. Again, they continued their love of MGs and participated in car shows around the Northeast, and continued their love of skiing on the wonderful slopes of Whiteface Mountain. Never at a loss for an adventure, they traveled to Austria as well, taking in the wonders of the Alps at Hintertux. After her loving husband Dave passed away, she was at a loss for a few years but then miraculously found her feet again and began travelling far and wide. Travels took her to Europe, Montana and other parts of the United States. On one tour on a bus near the Cliffs of Dover, she made the driver stop the bus so she could run down the slope and put her feet in the English Channel, much to the chagrin of the other passengers but fulfilling a lifelong quest of hers. She traveled on her own to the Olympics in Salt Lake City, staying in a hostel and taking in the figure skating events. Always having her sheltie at her side, she became known in Lake Placid as that “nice little old lady and her dog” as they would course their way up Main Street on their daily journey around Mirror Lake. Always with a smile and a perky step, she developed friendships wherever she went.

Margaret never gave up her love of skiing and at age 86 had her knee replaced so she could continue doing so — an activity that she wonderfully participated in until she was 90. She gained the admiration of the “Snow Birds Club,” again forging memorable friendships. There is so much more that could be told of this amazing woman and her journey through life. She came from a farming family and grew up during the tough times that the “Greatest Generation” endured, giving her character, work ethic and stamina. Margaret was never sick, or would never let on that she was, fiercely stating that she never had pain or ailment of any kind. Having never spent any time in a hospital, she was blessed with a long life filled with indelible memories, which she surely took with her when she gracefully slipped away and left this earth. She loved her sisters dearly and her family as well, and in later years her love spilled over to her grandchildren and great-grandson. She was quite a gal.

Margaret was predeceased by her husband David and her sisters Kathleen and Jenny. She is survived by her sons Andrew and Ted; grandchildren Andrew, Christian and Mary-Lauren; great-grandson Griffin Allen; and sisters Andrea (Alan) and Betty (Irv); as well as numerous nieces and nephews.

A private burial will be held at North Elba Cemetery, Lake Placid, at the convenience of the family. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Tri-Lakes Humane Society, 255 George LaPan Memorial Highway, Saranac Lake, NY 12983. The M.B. Clark Inc. Funeral Home in Lake Placid is in charge of arrangements. Relatives and friends are invited to share a memory, upload a photograph or leave condolences at mbclarkfuneralhome.com.