Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Contact Us | Home RSS
 
 
 

Mayor: NYC Sandy rebuilding is now on track

July 17, 2014
Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) — The mayor says an often-criticized New York City initiative to rebuild Superstorm Sandy-damaged homes has started work on more than 130.

He says it has finished 30 homes. And it's dispensed more than $6.3 million to reimburse homeowners for reconstruction costs.

Mayor Bill de Blasio announced the statistics Thursday.

He says the city's on track to keep its promise of starting work on 500 homes and sending out 500 reimbursement checks by Labor Day.

De Blasio made the promise three months ago, amid widespread frustration with the program.

Former Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced the program in June 2013.

As of April, only nine homes were undergoing work, and none had been finished.

Changes include eliminating income categories that had prevented some applications from moving forward while others were pending.

 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web