Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | News | Local News | Contact Us | Home RSS

Rangers stay busy as summer temps stretch on

September 27, 2017
By staff , Lake Placid News

While warm, summer-like weather continues, state Department of Environmental Conservation forest rangers rescued numerous lost and injured people around the Adirondacks last week, including a trio of locals who became lost while tubing the Saranac River.


Town of Westport

During the afternoon of Tuesday, Sept. 19, a woman suffered head and shoulder injuries after falling while on the Split Rock trail.

Two rangers responded and evaluated the woman, and then escorted her under her own power to a waiting ambulance. She was taken to a local hospital for treatment.


Town of St. Armand

On Friday, Sept. 22, a trio of twenty-something Saranac Lake residents became lost while tubing on the Saranac River. The threesome were caught out after dark and attempted to walk away from the river, but became mired in a swamp and could go no farther.

Ranger Scott van Laer was dispatched and found the tubers around 9:30 p.m. and escorted them back to shore.

Town of Inlet

A 74-year-old woman fell while hiking Rocky Mountain on Saturday, Sept. 23. Rangers and local EMS personnel responded within an hour and began treatment.

The woman was stabilized and packaged for carry out to a waiting ambulance.


Town of Keene

On Saturday, Sept. 23, a 59-year-old man suffered a severe laceration on his head while hiking Snowy Mountain along the Deer Brook Trail in the High Peaks.

Three rangers, along with the Keene and Keene Valley rescue squads responded and performed advanced life support and spine stabilization before utilizing low-angle rescue techniques to get the man to a waiting ambulance.


Town of Newcomb

A member of an Adirondack Mountain Club-guided trip broke her ankle late in the evening on Sunday, Sept. 24.

The 54-year-old woman took a bad step while descending from Times Square in the High Peaks, and the ADK guide set off a spot locator beacon. The group of hikers had spent the previous night camped out and were prepared to spend another.

Two rangers were dispatched to the scene, where they found the group had stabilized and comforted the woman. The ranger lit a small fire to keep the group warm through the night, and state police aviation airlifted the woman early the following morning.



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web