LAKE PLACID - An early morning fire Saturday, Aug. 23 caused extensive damage to the village's Water and Sewer Department maintenance garage.
The blaze started in the break room of the building, according to Essex County Emergency Services Director Don Jaquish.
"It appears to be accidental, but we're going to follow up with the insurance company before we make a determination," Jaquish said Monday, Aug. 25.
The Lake Placid Volunteer Fire Department responded to a report of a structure fire at 179 Power House Lane at 5:15 a.m. Saturday with four trucks and 27 members.
Firefighters extinguished the blaze inside the metal garage, which houses water and sewer department equipment and supplies. It was heavily damaged, firefighters said.
"It's quite extensive," said Brad Hathaway, the village's public works superintendent. "A few of the rooms in it are severely damaged, and there's heat and smoke damage through the rest of it. Two pickup trucks were damaged in the fire. All kinds of tools - cutoff saws, chainsaws. The extent of it we won't know until we get in there and do a full inventory of what's ruined, but there's a lot."
Hathaway said the village's water and sewer departments are still up and running. He's loaned his pickup truck to the water maintenance crew.
"We have the other departments we can kind of borrow things from that we need," Hathaway said. "It's not going to affect any of the daily things we need other than we're going to be short a few trucks and they're going to be short a garage for a while."
Hathaway said investigators from the village's insurance company were expected to be on the scene today.
The Saranac Lake Volunteer Fire Department provided manpower at the scene and stood by at the Lake Placid firehouse during the call. The Keene Volunteer Fire Department also provided manpower at the scene.
Lake Placid firefighters were back in service at 10:18 a.m.