LAKE PLACID - An electrical fire occurred around 12 p.m. Wednesday, March 19 in a house at 34 John Brown Road, next to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
Old Military Road was closed from Church Street to John Brown Road during the fire.
Lake Placid Volunteer Fire Department Chief Torry Hoffman said the call came in at 12:20 p.m. and was originally for a smoke alarm on the second floor in the large, single-family home. One member of the family was home at the time of the fire. No one was injured.
Hoffman said firefighters saw smoke on arrival to the scene.
"The drivers made a quick response," Hoffman said. "The first team inside had a hard time finding where the fire could be."
Hoffman said a caretaker for the property pointed out the location to an access panel to the attic. The firefighters then inspected and located the fire in the attic.
Hoffman said they managed to the contain the fire throughout the rest of the afternoon. There was minimal interior damage to the home.
A challenge for the firefighters was the property's 500-foot, winding driveway which only allowed one truck to access the house.
"We were able to get a truck close to the house," Hoffman said.
Firefighters relayed the water line from a fire hydrant on the corner of Old Military Road to a truck parked in front of the driveway on John Brown Road to the truck near the house.
The cause of the fire was investigated by Max Thwaits III, deputy coordinator for Essex County Emergency Services.
"We determined it was electrical," Thwaits said. The fire originated in the heating system in the attic.
The Lake Placid Volunteer Fire Department had 23 members and three trucks at the blaze. Six Saranac Lake volunteer firefighters helped out on the scene with one of their trucks. The Keene Volunteer Fire Department was on standby at the Lake Placid firehouse.
"The volunteers did an outstanding job knocking down the fire," Hoffman said.