Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | News | Local News | Contact Us | Home RSS
 
 
 

Pool house at ski jumps damaged by fire

September 24, 2013
JESSICA COLLIER

LAKE PLACID - A pool house at the state's ski jumping facility was ablaze this morning when employees arrived at work.

An employee called in the fire around 6:30 a.m., and the Lake Placid Volunteer Fire Department responded, along with Saranac Lake, Keene and Jay's departments. Firefighters were still assessing the situation this morning.

Lake Placid fire Chief Douglas T. Hoffman said he believes the fire started in the basement and spread up to the second floor through interior walls.

Article Photos

Lake Placid firefighters hose down debris from a pool house that caught fire at the state’s ski jumping facility this morning.
(Enterprise photo — Jessica Collier)

When the first truck arrived, there was a lot of smoke, and flames were flickering up along the exterior walls through vents on the side of the building, Hoffman said.

The two-story building is next to the state Olympic Regional Development Authority's freestyle pool at the ski jump facility off state Route 73. It had a locker room on the top floor and equipment including electrical hardware on the first floor.

Firefighters were pulling insulation and wood out of the walls and ceilings this morning to access the fire in the walls.

"We're still trying to find out where it is," Hoffman told the Enterprise. "We think we have it controlled at this point, but we're not absolutely sure."

ORDA employees brought racks of water bottles out from a nearby building and distributed them to firefighters as they tried to find the source of the blaze.

 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web